Monday, September 15, 2008

Ike Makes His Way...

It's actually Sunday night as I sit here and write this post. I usually find myself on Sunday nights getting ready for the upcoming week. I pull out my calendar and just go over appointments, meetings, soccer practices and games, guitar lessons, and Jessica's work schedule. This week is a busy one for me.  I like Mondays really because it's a new beginning and I feel like I have a fresh start. Typically, I try to leave Mondays open so that I can be here at home. Doing those couple loads of wash, straightening up the house, and just having a little down time.

As I sit here tonight though, I have just found out that my Monday won't be as I had planned. School has just been closed for tomorrow as a result of hurricane Ike making his way through the state of Ohio. We have trees down all around us and I honestly think that we are one of the few in this area that still has power. I've shared before that we live on the highest point in the county.  I just looked out the window to the neighborhood across the street where typically you can see homes with all their lights on. There is nothing but darkness. I've talked to family and friends who have been without power since early this afternoon and have been told their neighborhoods look like war zones. After watching the news, we have found out that over 200,000 people are without power in this area. They are saying it could take days before power is restored. Winds reached 63 mph here in Beavercreek. 


The high winds started this afternoon as we were leaving to go to church. We were supposed to be having a picnic and a baptism service outside, but because of the threat of severe weather, plans were changed. There is nothing like a good old fashioned church potluck and we celebrated the people who today made a public display of their faith. 

I couldn't believe how hard the wind was blowing as we made our way down to church this afternoon...



I really was having a pretty good hair day.

When we got back home we found our driveway looking like this...






The thing is, I know that this does not even compare to the destruction and damage that occurred on the gulf as a result of this massive hurricane. My heart goes out to the many people who have lost their homes, possessions, and not being able to have basic necessities- water, power and food. I admire the courage, the determination, and the will they have to withstand the coming days. It certainly has made me have a heart of thankfulness when all I have around me is some fallen trees. At the same time, my heart is breaking because of what they are going through.

Life can change so quickly. The character of God never changes and in that I have peace for today, tomorrow, and the days to come. Let's remember to pray for all of those who have been in the path of this storm. That God would be real to them in a way like never before. That hearts would be turned to Him and that those who don't know the Lord would cry out to Him and believe that He is good and He is near. For strength and rest as they begin to get their lives and homes together again. Jesus, be their refuge in the storm.

Psalm 121~
I lift up my eyes to the hills-
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip-
he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel 
will neither slumber nor sleep.
The LORD watches over you-
the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.
The LORD will keep you from all harm-
he will watch over your life;
the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.




13 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I can't believe your driveway! We saw some of the Bengals game yesterday (even though I am a Browns fan and couldn't cheer for them!) and it looked like the whole stadium was going to blow over! I definitely join with you in praying for all those people in Ike's path.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Christy~
    You, and your community will certainly be in my prayers, as well as everyone else affected by Ike.

    It's so amazing to see the destruction...that a storm can cause!!

    Hang in their friend.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy! great minds think a like? I had Megan take a "bad hair day" picture of me yesterday as well.. lol I will be posting later with a few pictures from our neighborhood.

    I am so thankful that we have power, I almost feel guilty :(

    I can't wait to hear how things went yesterday when I abandoned you because of the wind storm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shame on Ike! What a mess... Im glad that yall are ok and doing fine. These things are scary. Thank you for your sweet comment. So many people went home to nothing. Im blessed to just have a messy yard. Take care~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ike was kind of cranky, wasn't he?

    We got pretty lucky with the power staying on, too. We drove to Boonshoft today and the park near it has some crazy trees and branches down! We should pray for our community to pull together and help clean it up!

    love the fun hair do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I'm glad that you and your family are safe and still have power. It is amazing how much damage has been done. I feel so bad for all of the people that lost so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I found your blog from My Cup to Yours... We aren't too far from you & were also so fortunate to have not lost power. I had no idea that we were going to experience that kind of storm! This morning, our weatherman said we had winds of 92 MPH.

    Stay safe as you go through storm clean up! God Bless....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never tire over the Lord's promises to us in that Psalm! Thank you for reminding me of His Words today. And thank you for your prayer reminder! The storms do shake and quake. I am so thankful that we have a Rock!
    Darlene
    PS Oh, I just hate to see those beautiful trees down. Time lost. Prayers are with your area now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you and your family were kept safe. I will be praying for the ones across the path of Ike still without power, including people in Arkansas. That is my favorite Psalm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, Christy! I will be praying for you and your family. Please keep us updated when you are able.
    Good to know God has His eye on you & yours.
    Thrilled you'll be joining us on Tuesday's for the new YES to GOD study.
    I'll be checking back on you to make sure all is well.
    Blessings,
    Lelia

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely post and reminder about the people that need praying for. It blew through here on Saturday night/Sunday morning and we are lucky to have power still and our trees still up. Thinking of your neck of the woods, too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you are okay! I just got an email today with some pictures of Ike and the devastation was heart wrenching...

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! I am so sorry for the loss of some of your trees (looks like you live on a gorgeous piece of property)
    Glad you are safe. We too here in Indy had horrible winds. Some folks are still w/out power as well! The top wind gust in Indy was 63 mph on Sunday. I can only imagine what it was like on the gulf. My heart and prayers go out to those affected by Ike. You are so right - the weather changes day to day, sometimes minute by minute, but God never changes! He is our ever present help in our time of need!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...