Thursday, November 13, 2008

Moments...


Yesterday when I was walking up to our back door, I noticed the little red tricycle sitting in our yard. My son, Sam got this trike when he was two. He is now 12. It's one of those toys that as a mom, I wanted him to have. It's a classic. I had a blue one when I was young. In fact I still have it and always will. Some things I have to hold onto. Tricycles being one of them.

Apparently, Sam and his brother, Ben decided it would be "fun" to pull it out and play with it. Leave it to a boy (and two at that!) to find an adventure in anything. For whatever reason, Sam thought it would be fun to ride down our driveway on it.

Two days later, it still sits in our backyard. I guess I'm being sentimental and having some memories played back in my mind. I like walking past the window and seeing it sit there. Were they really that small? They seemed so "big" on their bike. Their feet reaching the pedals and spinning so fast to make it go. Faster and further was all they wanted.

Just the other day, Sam and I were standing in front of a full-length mirror and I couldn't believe how tall he looked standing next to me. It's one thing to be standing and looking at him, but when I saw the two of us together, it completely took my breath away. My little man isn't so little anymore.

I treasure these moments in motherhood. When you look at your child and your heart feels like it is absolutely going to burst with love. Looking at them, remembering what they looked like as a tiny baby but anticipating how they are going to grow and change. I love when I look at them and because of the expression on their face it is if they were two again.

Moments. Moments that make everything around me come to a complete stand still. Embracing the fact that God has entrusted me to mother these three children that mean the world to me.

18 comments:

  1. OH, I just love this post! I too look at my boys, especially my oldest (who is almost 11) and can't get over what a little man he is becoming. Love the pic of the trike....great shot. :) Ang

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet Christy--I can't wait to see meet my baby girl and begin having these moments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed this reminder today. Here in the midst of little ones and loud voices and several tricycles, I needed to remember to treasure these moments. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a very big "moments" person.
    I think that's why I take my camera everywhere.
    I want to remember every little detail & hope that my children do too.
    It goes by way to fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are special moments!!!
    -sandy toes

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post. A great reminder of how fast the days/years go & to treasure each moment we are given as Mommas. Thanks for this today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true! What a great reminder to cherish the moments - they are fleeting so quickly!!!

    My "little man" 12 year old is now taller and weighs more than I do... but when he is asleep, he still looks like the little boy he used to be. (That's my favorite part of going to bed - looking in on my sleeping children and giving their sweet cheeks one more kiss before I go to sleep.)

    "O Lord, help us to count our days and to make the most time of each moment!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, 3 things.

    1. You have me in a puddle of tears
    2. Why can't our kids just "grow down-er" (as a sweet, crazy Southern friend of mine likes to say)???
    and
    3. Your blog looks very cute in it's new outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this just warmed my heart to read. Also made me a little sad because I know we can't slow them down. I am looking at all the newborn clothes in my house, thinking about Baby #2, and I just can't believe Nina used to wear them. She is so big now. I love this stage but it is so sad that we won't ever be in the previous stages with her again. Time goes too fast.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  10. And beautiful children you have.
    It sounds like you have great relationships with them.

    We went through some trying times with our boys but today at 23 and 26 when they come 'to talk' ~ Oh, it just melts my heart.

    Bless you, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bless your sweet heart friend.

    I've been having some of the same thoughts...as I look at Andrew while he's sleeping...or driving the truck...or visiting with friends at church...where DOES the time go???

    I only have 1 1/2 years left....till we are totally empty nesters....I'd better get on my knees so I make it through..in one piece! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweeeet! That is just precious. I was a bit nostalgic today too about my boys - in a different way but now to think of it in this light. Wow! It goes so quickly.

    Also, I love your pictures from the weekend. I commented at Sarah's and didn't realize you have some more good pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved it too. I haver 4 girls tho and I know it's just got to be diffrent with a mohther an a son... I hope to one day know that feeling. what a wonderful post!!! LA

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love moments! Thanks for sharing yours in such a beautiful way! What george-ous children you have!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Christy -- It's so true how you can look at your kids and still see the little one inside the "big kid"! What a lovely post :)!! Your son will treasure his tricycle one day! Also, I love the cloche you got in last post -- I love Cracker Barrel! May have to take a trip there!!

    Blessings,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  16. ps -- I added you to my blog list :)

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  17. Christy,

    That's how I've been feeling about my son lately too, and he's just seven. How time flies, huh?

    Thanks for your sweet comment yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a neat post. I too am amazed that my 14 yr old son is all of a sudden 6 foot and wears size 14 shoes. I don't know if God forgot about Aaron when he was little and decided to make up for it in one night, but it's weird to look up to my son. :)
    Just wanted to let you know I mentioned you in my blog. You really touched my heart in your recent post of Teacher's Pet.
    Have a great weekend my friend!
    Blessings,
    Lelia

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...