Monday, November 24, 2008

What I'm Thankful For...

With Thanksgiving being just a few days away now, I know that we are all taking the time to think of the blessings in our lives. The things for which we are thankful. What would our everyday lives be like if we lived everyday with a thankful heart instead of focusing on them just once Thanksgiving rolls around.

This week I am going to only concentrate on those things for which I am thankful. There will be no complaining. No complaining that I can't complain. Really, when it comes down to it, I have so much to be thankful for...

I'm thankful that my family is healthy.
I'm thankful for a husband who loves me so well. He knows how to encourage me, challenge me, and drive me crazy but yet still makes my heart skip a beat.
I'm thankful for sunrises and sunsets.
I'm thankful for how our youngest son, Ben, wakes up every morning a half an hour early so he can snuggle in bed with us.
I'm thankful for Godly parents who have been married for 39 years.
I'm thankful that God never gives up on me and that He finds me usable.
I'm thankful for friends that I've had in my life for a long time, new friends, and for friends I've met along the way through blogging.
I'm thankful that God's mercies are new everyday.
I'm thankful Jessica still asks me to bake homemade cookies for her.
I'm thankful for marriages and new babies.
I'm thankful that God covers all my mistakes that I make as a mom with grace.
I'm thankful for cell phones, free minutes and texting.
I'm thankful for three children that call me "Mom".
I'm thankful that there is a place called Heaven.
I'm thankful that are creative and gifted songwriters who make music just so that I can sing my heart out when no one is listening.
I'm thankful for the new things that are learned in marriage. For honesty and vulnerability-even when it's hard and uncomfortable.
I'm thankful for flavored creamers, iced tea, and Diet Coke.
I'm thankful that when I am on the phone with my parents, my sister, children or husband, that no matter how long or short the conversation is, it isn't good-bye until "I love you" has been said.
I'm thankful that the journey with God never ends.
I'm thankful for low gas prices.
I'm thankful that God makes Himself known to my children and that He watches over them when I can't.
I'm thankful for the time we will gather around the table this year at my in-laws and how each person in the family will share something that they are thankful for.
I'm thankful for the passion God has put in Jessica's heart to serve in full-time missions.
I'm thankful for our first year in ministry and all the things we've learned.
I'm thankful for boys who wrestle on the floor.
I'm thankful for the home God has provided for us.
I'm thankful for flip-flops.
I'm thankful that my husband always puts his family first.
I'm thankful for memories.
I'm thankful for my sister who is also my best friend.
I'm thankful that when we pray as a family, "Amen" is always followed by squeezing hands.
I'm thankful for new pajamas and all things warm and cozy.
I'm thankful for our dogs who are so happy to see their people when we get home. Whether we've been gone 5 minutes or 5 hours.
I'm thankful for hugs.
I'm thankful that I have a story. One that tells a story of a life that has been redeemed.
I'm thankful for the music Sam makes when playing his trumpet.
I'm thankful that I've made it to 100 posts on my blog!!!
I'm thankful that there is a season to be thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. ~ Psalm 107:1



I'm also joining Sarah Mae over at Like A Warm Cup Of Coffee for her 5 Am Club. This is such a fun, encouraging, and refreshing way to start the week.


18 comments:

  1. OK, that was just the sweetest thankful list ever. Literally, it brings tears to my eyes.

    I was reading your profile and more than anything this morning, your mention of just standing on God's promises and trusting him really struck me. The hard times are when we need him the most. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazing things to be thankful for! A beautiful list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your honesty. I think it's amazing that once we get started on what we're thankful for, they just keep coming and coming. I agree with Mama Hen. Standing on God's promises are the only way to get through those tough times. Welcome to the "club"! We're so happy to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving! This is just wonderful! May need to write up one of these. :)

    LOVE LOVE LOVE (oh didn't mean to shout it :) your window pane pictures! Martha Stewart I mean Christy! These are adorable.

    Happy THanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your list! I am thankful for you sweet friend!

    I love Thanksgiving! I am thankful for the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list!! We have so much to be thankful for don't we?

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thankful I found your blog. : ) I have been blogging for about 2 weeks now and I love finding blogs like yours.

    I am blessed and have much to be thankful for...thanks for sharing your list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a beautiful post! The Lord is so good to His people, and so pleased when we are grateful. This inspired my gratitude today, too. :-)

    Congratulations on your 100 posts! and Hapy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that about covers the whole list! What a sweet way to honor God because He is the giver of all that is good! I am Thankful that I had the opportunity to meet you and your sweet husband and that I got to read your cool blog!You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful list!!!

    I hope to read more Motivate Me Monday posts from you in the future - it's so encouraging to read about what the Lord is doing in each of our lives! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to the 5am club! Thanks for your comment on my blog too! Reading your list has helped me look at all the incredible things I am thankful for too! So thanks for the inspiration!

    "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God." Colossians 3:15-16

    Jessica :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. And we're thankful for you, Christy! Have a wonderful week. Love your new banner photo! woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't realize Jessa wore the gown too...I added her to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your thankful list and want you to know how thankful I am for you, friend.
    I love you and am so thankful to God for bringing you into my life.
    Love you!
    Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful list! I just love so many of what you wrote!
    May you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with many "sweet" family memories!
    -Sandy toes

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yea - I saw your comment that you checked out our 5 am club and are coming to the "dark side"...literally. I don't always make it up that earlier but since I have joined, I am rising at least one hour earlier than I used to. Love it, and love your thankful list. I am right along with you on MANY of them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...