Friday, October 30, 2009

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies...

These last two days I have found myself in the kitchen baking. I love trying new recipes as well as bringing out the old familiar favorites. Yesterday, I made a pot of Chicken Noodle Soup to take to a sick friend along with some Blueberry Muffins and it didn't stop there. What is a girl to do when Pioneer Woman's new cookbook arrived at my house this week (thank you SO much Sarah!) and there are all these wonderful, mouth-watering recipes on every single page. I am always up for making something chocolate, so I went straight to her Chocolate Sheet Cake. Besides that, Ree even says at the end of the recipe to make this cake today because she doesn't want me living another day without it. Note to self... Don't make this cake when you are only one week into your diet. You don't have the strength to resist CHOCOLATE!!!

Anyway, today I am baking Pumpkin Whoopie Pies (I can resist pumpkin so much easier than chocolate) for a dinner at my in-laws tonight. I originally shared this recipe last Fall but thought I would share it again because it's a perfect treat for this time of the year.


Have you heard of a Whoopie Pie before? They are baked good common to the Pennsylvania Dutch culture as well as New England. Traditionally, they are made of two small, chocolate cakes with with a sweet, creamy frosting sandwiched between them. Whoopie Pies are very popular in Amish markets throughout Pennsylvania, Indiana, Virginia, West Virginia and Ohio. One of my good friends, Aamie, from Maine first introduced me to this new take on old familiar favorite. They have now become one of my favorite cookie recipes too. What better way to welcome the Fall season than with....


Pumpkin Whoopie Pies~




1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter- 1 stick melted & 1/2 stick softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon plus 2 pinches salt
1 2/3 cups flour
4 ounces cream cheese, chilled
1 cup confectioners' sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in the eggs, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, 1 teaspoon vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour. Using an ice cream scoop or tablespoon, drop 12 generous mounds of batter, spaced evenly, onto each baking sheet. Bake until springy to the touch, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely. Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, cream the softened butter with the cream cheese. Add the confectioners' sugar and remaining 2 pinches of salt and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; mix on low speed until blended, then beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Spread flat side of 12 cakes with the cream cheese frosting. Top each with another cake. Enjoy!!!

9 comments:

  1. oh yum! i love those whoopie pies!! glad to see you back in the blog world (and in the real world, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're getting plenty of practice! My expectations for Christmas are high.:-) It all sounds soooo good. Love you! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love anything pumpkin....thanks for sharing. I plan to make these!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my goodness. These look delish. Just the thing for the season! Thanks, Christy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All those recipes made me hungry!! :)
    The pumpkin whoopie pies sound delicious...and I can't wait to get my hands on The Pioneer Woman's cookbook! Yea for Ree!
    BTW, I really enjoy reading your blog. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had my first whoopee pie at a craft fair a few weeks ago. It was pumpkin. Now I am obsessed with whoopee pies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! I wonder why they're called Whoopie? I've seen them at our Amish market...just always wondered. Yours looks divine!

    (I can't wait to see the PW Cookbook!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have so much pumpkin! i will have to try your recipe next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting from Kimba's place... pumpkin anything is a winner. And so is anything I've tasted from the Pioneer Woman. I'll have to try these too!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...