Saturday, August 14, 2010

Key Lime Cream Cake

Today, I am linking up to Quit Eating Out's Saturday Swap and sharing the birthday cake that I made for my husband yesterday. This is the third year in a row in which I have made this cake for him on his birthday, and it is one of the easiest cakes to make with out of this world results. It's fresh, pretty, delectably sweet and a perfect dessert during the summer months. 

So, here is what you need for KEY LIME CREAM CAKE...


1 cup graham cracker crumbs, crushed
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 T. Key lime or regular lime juice ( I use the Key Lime juice. You can find it with the lemon juice.)
1 package Betty Crocker Supermoist butter recipe yellow cake mix
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 t. grated Key lime or regular lime peel
3 eggs

Creamy Lime Filling...
1 can (14 oz. ) sweetened condensed milk
2 t. grated Key lime or regular lime peel
1/2 cup Key lime or regular lime juice
1 1/2 cups whipping (heavy) cream

Directions for cake...
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottoms only of 2 round pans, 8x 11/2 inches with shortening. (Dark or nonstick pans are not recommended). Line pans with waxed paper. Grease top of waxed paper and sides of pan; lightly flour. Mix cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter in medium bowl. Spread 2/3 cup of mixture in each pan.

Add enough water to lime juice to measure 1 1/3 cups. Beat cake mix, softened butter, lime juice mixture, lime peel and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pans.

Bake 42-52 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Run sharp knife around sides of pans to loosen cakes. Cool in pans 15 minutes. Remove from pans to wire rack, placing cakes crumb mixture side up and removing waxed paper from top of cakes. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

Place 1 layer, crumb side up, on serving plate. Spread with 1 cup Creamy Lime Filling to within 1/4 inch of edge. Add second layer, crumb side up; frost side and top of cake with remaining filling. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.

Directions for Creamy Lime Filling...
Stir together milk, lime peel and lime juice in small bowl; set aside. Beat whipping cream in chilled medium bowl with electric bowl on high speed until soft peaks form. Fold milk mixture into whipped cream just until blended.



Have a wonderful weekend!

9 comments:

  1. I almost immediately ran to the store to get the ingredients for this recipe...but then I realized no one wants to see a big ol' pregnant woman in her nightgown frantically running around the store in search of cake ingredients, just because she saw this AWESOME recipe on-line! I guess it will have to wait....but not too long I hope! Hope you are well - Addie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Christy! I'm so glad you joined the Saturday Swap. This cake looks amazing. I am looking for something to make for my kiddos this week as they return to school and this sounds perfect. I love finding recipes that become traditions like this one has for your family. Have a great weekend! Love and Hugs my Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! Your pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cake looks wonderful! I recently discovered my love for Key Lime pie when we were in Florida. Anniversary and birthday...my husband's falls like that too in June (and Father's Day).

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks delightfully delicious and refreshing.
    i love key lime anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I followed you here from "Quit Eating Out." This cake looks so yummy! I think it would be perfect for an upcoming family get-together. Thanks for sharing!

    belle
    beautifulnest dot blogspot dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cake looks amazing and I will try this recipe soon. You have an adorable blog.

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cake looks delicious! Key lime is one of my favorite flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cake looks amazing! I know someone in my house who would love it too! Happy Birthday Steve!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...